As it stands right now (remember, I'm not done the program yet!), If I were to have to rate the program out of five stars, I'd give it:
- Fantastic way to improve cardio endurance & strengthen fast twitch muscle fiber
- Great way to increase flexibility
- Excellent for improving exercise/life balance and avoiding gym fees
- In my opinion, this workout is more likely to encourage the body to utilize glycogen stores & protein (muscle) to fuel itself due to the how high it stimulates the heart rate.
- Unless you are in Ketosis, OR your body is naturally efficient at utilizing fat stores to fuel itself even with moderate carb consumption (lucky you!), you’re only likely to burn a minimal amount of fat stores during the entire duration of the workouts.
- Probably not ideal for woman who suffer from hormonal issues such as myself (unless in Ketosis and supplementing with enough BCAA’s to retain muscle)
- You wont be able to retain muscle without precise supplementation and dietary modifications
Having said all that, it seems I am now starting to shed body fat in the program (this delay seems to be common with INSANITY). However it came at a price, as I feel I’ve certainly lost muscle and likely lowered my metabolic rate. Let's just say that while my clothes are fitting better than they were before the program, I feel 'flabbier' since I've likely burned away some quality muscle.
My plan is to hit Keto hard for the next few weeks and try to deplete my glycogen stores so that I can encourage my body to fuel these workouts purely from stored fat. I think that should help, however I need to find a good BCAA supplement in St. Lucia to prevent further muscle loss. Additionally, I plan to get my ass back to lifting weights a.s.a.p. Thankfully, building back the lost muscle shouldn’t be a problem for me.
(Side note: I don’t plan on kicking Insanity all together, but I do plan on being more strategic with it AFTER I complete the program. I’m doing the entire program for YOU guys! I want to give a proper review.)